Re: Mysql as a backend for LDAP

Oddly, I frequently use the same reason to argue for putting data in
ldap rather than oracle or mysql.  The fact that ldap is based on open
standards while rdbms aren't (last I took the time to look, anyway)
seems to me to weigh heavily in ldap's favor.
Best,
Andrew

-- On Sep 27,  4:52pm, "Jesse W. Asher" wrote:
> Subject: Re: Mysql as a backend for LDAP
>

> >Yes, but you don't want to.  Why does everyone keep thinking using an
> >RDBMS as a backend to LDAP is a good idea?  And mysql no less...  I
> >might be able to understand Oracle, DB2, etc...  If you don't understand
> >why this is a terrible idea please go read the FAQ entry about this.
> >
> Why?  Because having the data in a relational backend allows one to use
> that same data for many other things.  My philosophy is to do my best to
> have as few data sources as possible and to minimize the number of
> places that data must be maintained.    Having this data in a database
> has a LOT of advantages.

-- End of excerpt from "Jesse W. Asher" --

--
andrew.tristan@ucr.edu                Unix Systems Group UC, Riverside