From: "Tarassov Vadim" <Vadim.Tarassov@winterthur.ch>
To: "'Bjørn Ove Grøtan'" <bjorn.grotan@itea.ntnu.no>; "Kristyan Osborne"
<kris@longhill.brighton-hove.sch.uk>
Cc: "OpenLDAP (E-mail)" <openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 6:52 AM
Subject: AW: Fail over

Hi Bjorn,

I am not sure that Kristyan is asking about slurpd. Slurpd will update
replica, it is not substitution for any sort of clustering or so. If master
is not available, you will not be able update replica anyway, which means
that you've zero of failover in applications doing lots of updates. The
better way to achive his goal would be real multi-master replication, but I
am not sure that it works with recent versions of openldap (2.1.*). There
were lots of letters around recently about multimaster replication, but up
to my best knowledge they were related to 2.0.* versions of openldap. People
were suggesting to use --enable-multimaser or #define SLAPD_MULTIMASTER 1 in
portable.h. I don't think in 2.1.2 either of them has an effect, in 2.1..4
#define SLAPD_MULTIMASTER is commented, so perhaps, it would make sense to
try that multimaster activity with 2.1.4? Well, anyway that's all details. I
am reading this maillist during last three month and I have not noticed that
multimaster re!
 plication is sort of "officially" available feature in openldap, well at
least people do not really like to talk about it. In such case it probably
would make more sense to dig in direction of conventional clustering.

Regards, Vadim Tarassov.