Re: NFS with OpenLDAP [different topic, similar question]

ons, 2002-09-11 kl. 15:38 skrev Chuck Pierce:

> Similar topic, different question; just no nfs.

:-)

> Say I have shared disk between two servers.  If one server fails, the other
> server picks up the disks (and starts slapd).  Would that cause data
> corruption problems?  Would it be better to run slarpd and have the
> secondary (standby) server change from the slave to the master?

If you want to do this, IMHO the only possible way is by using dedicated
hardware clustering, supported by the OS. Certainly that won't cause
data corruption problems: That's what it's all about. You have in effect
a single server, there is no master and no slave, you will pay "an awful
lot" for the necessarily extremely high data transfer rate between
server units and *disk array* (since nobody in his/her right mind would
attempt this on a single disk, for a cluster).

Those who seek to reinvent the wheel must also expect the rough ride
they're going to get, until they've discovered the perfection that
rotundity confers.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

Tha can allway tell a Yorkshireman, but tha canna tell 'im much.

e-post:		tonni@billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:	http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981