RE: Difficulty searching by groupOfNames member

I have some small measure of success to report.

First the bad new:  I downloaded the latest version -- 2.0.25 (20020618) --
and rebuilt it (a half-day affair since I'm using MS Visual C++).  No
change, so I also upgraded from Berkeley DB 3.2.9 to 4.0.14 and rebuilt
everything again.  I double-checked my index configuration and built my
directory database anew.  Still no improvement in searching by member dn.

Now, the good news: I created a new group in my directory

# TestGroup, CustomerN, netiq, com
dn: cn=TestGroup, o=CustomerN, dc=netiq, dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: groupOfNames
cn: TestGroup
member: uid=00001
member: uid=00002
member: uid=00004

I have no difficulty finding this group using the following:

ldapsearch -x -b "dc=netiq,dc=com" -D "cn=Manager,dc=netiq,dc=com" -w secret
"(member=uid=00004)"

That works exactly as expected, but I still can't seem to search using a dn.

Since I can't be sure my users will store group memberships by UID, I still
need to figure out why I can't get a match with a filter like "dn=cn=Jessica
Coffin, ...".  I've tried removing spaces between commas, but that makes no
difference.  I've checked to make sure there are no hidden characters in
either my directory entry or my filter.  Is there something else wrong with
my syntax?

Kristin