RE: slapadding a large bdb database

That is not the cache configuration I was talking about.

> Could you be a little more specific on what you mean by the BDB reference
> manual? I trawled sleepycat.com, openldap.org and googled for it, but all I
> could find was API docs instead of any tuning guidelines.

Look again. http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/index.html Under "Additional
Documentation"
is a link to "Programmer's Tutorial and Reference Guide" (which is
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/reftoc.html) In that document, start with
section 3 "Access Method Configuration", specifically 3.4.2 "Selecting a
cache size".

Also read section 5.9 "Access Method Tuning".

Then read section 9 "Berkeley DB Transactional Data Store Applications" with
special attention to section 9.21 "Transaction Tuning."

To actually set most of these options, read section 7 "The Berkeley DB
Environment". While some of the BDB library options can be set in slapd.conf,
all of them can be set thru the BDB environment.

  -- Howard Chu