Re: slapadding a large bdb database

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 05:10:26PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
% From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org On Behalf Of John Morrissey
%
% > slapadd: could not add entry dn="uid=foo,dc=example,dc=com" (line=1736045):
% > txn_aborted! Cannot allocate memory (12)
%
% What OS are you on?

Linux/glibc.

% The Berkeley DB library itself has memory cache size limits that must be
% explicitly configured. Read the BDB reference manual.

I read slapd-bdb and tried bumping the cachesize up to 100000 (from the
default of 1000 entries). Doesn't help.

Could you be a little more specific on what you mean by the BDB reference
manual? I trawled sleepycat.com, openldap.org and googled for it, but all I
could find was API docs instead of any tuning guidelines.

FWIW, I tried removing everything up until the problem entry and tried
slapadding from that point. Using the existing database, slapadd gives the
same error. If I wipe the database and slapadd starting at the problem
entry, it functions normally.

If it helps, here's the output of full debugging when this occurs:

=> bdb_tool_entry_put( -1,
   "uid=app2,dc=foonet,dc=net,ou=foonet,ou=services,o=foo" )
=> bdb_dn2id_add(
   "uid=app2,dc=foonet,dc=net,ou=foonet,ou=services,o=foo",
   0x00010009 )
=> bdb_idl_insert_key: c_get last failed: Cannot allocate memory (12)
=> bdb_dn2id_add: subtree (ou=services,o=foo) insert failed: 12
<= bdb_dn2id_add: 12
=> bdb_tool_entry_put: dn2id_add failed: Cannot allocate memory (12)
=> bdb_tool_entry_put: txn_aborted! Cannot allocate memory (12)

thanks,
john
--
John Morrissey          _o            /\         ----  __o