Re: broken pipe - serious problem with OpenLDAP 2.0.21

> From:  Michael Torrie <torriem@cs.byu.edu>
> Date:  17 Apr 2002 10:32:03 -0600
>
> We're trying to run OpenLDAP 2.0.21 in a production environment
> supporting unix logins and samba.  We have a serious problem thats
> started to happen more and more in the last few weeks (probably load
> related).
>
> About 3 times a day, the LDAP server just stops responding.  The log
> files of clients complain they can't contact the LDAP server.  The
> server is still running, it's just that no one can connect.  Many
> commands on the clients just return "broken pipe."  This is a serious
> problem and it's causing a lot of problems, especially with our mail
> server.  Users are getting bumped from mailing lists because these
> periodic outages cause sendmail to report "Unknown users."
>
> Has anyone experienced this?  Is it just that OpenLDAP doesn't scale?=20
> We only support about 4000 users on one server.  I'd turn on debugging
> but I don't know what level would be appropriate.  Too much debugging
> output slows OpenLDAP way down and the users notice very slow logins.
>
> Thank you.  If I could just solve this huge problem, I'd be very happy
> with OpenLDAP.

I had a similar problem which went away when after I went through all my perl
scripts that used perl-ldap and made sure that they properly closed their
connections to the LDAP server before they ended.  Once I stopped leaving stray
connections to the server all over the place, things got *much* better, and I
haven't seen a problem since.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    The Greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the
      hijacking of morality by religion.  However valuable -- even
      necessary -- that may have been in enforcing good behavior on
      primitive peoples, their association is now counterproductive.
      Yet at the very moment when they should be decoupled,
      sanctimonious nitwits are calling for a return to morals based
      on superstition.
				--- Arthur C. Clarke