Re: Non ASCII char in dn?

Stig Venaas writes:

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 07:09:37PM +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:
> >>Is there a way to put Non ASCII chars in the dn? I'm trying to add some
>>entries using dn: o=some company,ou=someplace,dc=mydomain,dc=com with
>>french characters in the o but it doesn't work even if it's UTF8 encode
>>is there another way I can do that?
> > The generic answer is: yes; see rfc2256 and draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn-XX.txt
> basically you need to turn them in UTF-8 and then encode them as > '\'+HEXPAIR, where HEXPAIR is a couple of hexadecimal digits that > represent each octet of your char.

Is hex-escaping really necessary for UTF-8 chars?
I understand RFC2253, section 2.4 a little bit different.

Me too, I really think that it shouldn't be necessary.

OK, you're right: all you need is use UTF-8; in fact we ended up
using plain UTF-8 in DN pretty form, with escaping of special chars
only for optimization.

Pierangelo.
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Dip. Ing. Aerospaziale | fax: +39 02 2399 8334
Politecnico di Milano | mailto:pierangelo.masarati@polimi.it
via La Masa 34, 20156 Milano, Italy | http://www.aero.polimi.it/~masarati