From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 3:11 PM
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: disabling special characters in ldapsearch

                                              Placed At :

I have encountered a problem with ldapsearch..following are my

ldapsearch -b "o=rootdir" "(uid=kannan)"

the above search returns a success and everybody is happy..

ldapsearch -b "o=rootdir" "(uid=\kannan)"

now the above search also returns  success throwing the same result as it
do for the username without the \
Has anyone come acroos this...Any sugesstions as to how to restrict such
characters would be great..The issue is only with \ not any other special

I have another observation..

ldapsearch -b "o=rootdir" "(uid=*kannan)"

now with the asterix sign it seraches the entire tree which is not something
great on a backend with a large number of records...Can i disable this

thanx in advance

Quality Policy

"To be  the  best-in-class  service  provider by  practising international
 in providing world-class services and end-to-end network solutions."