Synchronizing from LDAP to external database

I'm new to LDAP, and my task at hand is this:
Given an LDAP server (in my case it will be a slave), I need to propagate modifications, insertions, and deletions from LDAP to an Oracle 8.1.7 database.  Does anyone have advice on the best way to do this?  I see that there is an LCUP protocol that sounds promising, but it sounds like it may be awhile before it's implemented.
Would it be a reasonable assumption that I could capture the replication logfile, parse it, and then update my external database?  Can slapd/slurpd help here?  Is it simply a matter of configuring slapd to generate a replication logfile, and using my own code instead of running slurpd?  Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks.
Amy