Re: Distinguished Name and Entry values

hello,

yes it depends on how you declare the entry. certain entries require certain attributes that MUST be filled in. For example, if you have

dn: cn=xyz,ou=abc,o=ddd,c=sss.com

then typically an entry like this could be defined as

dn: cn=xyz,ou=abc,o=ddd,c=sss.com
objectClass:top
objectClass:person
objectClass:organizationalPerson
objectClass:inetOrgPerson

in which case, the objectClass dictates what components are required and what are obligatory (check core.schema inetorgperson.schema etc in /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema). So in the definition above

cn is required for objectclass person.

For the others such as ou, o and c, these should have already been defined but if not then yes, they must exist as well

Typically I use

dn: cn=myname,ou=sub_sub_group,ou=subgroup,o=mycompany

so i have the following definitions:

dn: o=mycompany
objectclass: top
objectclass: organization
o: mycompany

dn: ou=subgroup, o=mycompany
objectclass: top
objectclass: organizationalunit
ou: mycompany

dn: ou=sub_sub_group, ou=subgroup, o=mycompany
objectclass: top
objectclass: organizationalunit
ou: sub_sub_group

I hope that helps. Good luck!