objectClass Description - Adding to the MAY Clause

RFC 2252 section 4.4 states:

"An object class definition should not be changed without having a new
identifier assigned to it."

So if I create an objectClass like this (I assume this is a valid
definition, I haven't tested it yet):

objectClass (
    1.3.6.1.4.1.10595.2.2.1
    NAME 'tyrellPerson'
    DESC 'Tyrell Software Corp. Person'
    SUP top
    STRUCTURAL
    MUST (
        tyrellUserId   $
        tyrellPassword
        )
    MAY (
        displayName
        )
    )

and later on I decide that I want expand the MAY clause to allow firstName
and lastName, can I just add them to the definition or would I need to
create a completely new objectClass?

On a related matter, RFC 2252 section 4.4 states later:

"These are described as sample values for the subschema "objectClasses"
attribute for a server which implements the LDAP schema. While lines have
been folded for readability, the values transferred in protocol would not
contain newlines."

Does that mean that my objectClass definition should be all on one line like
this:

objectClass ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.10595.2.2.1 NAME 'tyrellPerson' DESC 'Tyrell
Software Corp. Person' SUP top STRUCTURAL MUST ( tyrellUserId $
tyrellPassword ) MAY ( displayName ) )

or does that mean that the protocol will ignore newlines and a definition
like the top one would be okay in the schema file?

Thanks,
Chuck Coker

Chuck Coker -- chuckc@tyrell.com
Tyrell Software Corporation
23151 Verdugo Drive, Suite 204
Laguna Hills, California 92653-1343 United States
(949) 458-1911 ext. 3