slapd's hangin around.

List,

I recently got openldap and pam_ldap.so working like a charm.  It worked
great for about 2 days, and then I accidentally rebooted my server without
putting the slapd startup command in my systems boot script.  Much to my
surprise, pam.conf did not fail over from pam_ldap.so to pam_skeys.so and I
was locked out of my system.  I got it down in single-user mode and fixed
pam.conf, commenting out the lines ending in /usr/lib/pam_ldap.so.1.  After
this I could login fine.  So I went ahead and booted in full mode, and
logged in.  Much to my surprise, I am having very much difficulty now
getting slapd to start.  Sometimes it will, but it just hangs for like 6 to
10 minutes and then fails.  Nothing in my log files, show anything fishy.
And I have even run slapd with -d 256, and everything appears normal.  Even
when I have gotten it started, pam_ldap.so.1 seems to have stopped working.
Any suggestions or ideas would be MUCH appreciated.

Brendon