Re: objectClass Description - Adding to the MAY Clause

At 06:28 PM 2001-08-27, Chuck Coker wrote:
>RFC 2252 section 4.4 states:
>
>"An object class definition should not be changed without having a new
>identifier assigned to it."
>
>and later on I decide that I want expand the MAY clause to allow firstName
>and lastName, can I just add them to the definition or would I need to
>create a completely new objectClass?

You are not obligated to follow the RFC 2252 recommendation.

>On a related matter, RFC 2252 section 4.4 states later:
>
>"These are described as sample values for the subschema "objectClasses"
>attribute for a server which implements the LDAP schema. While lines have
>been folded for readability, the values transferred in protocol would not
>contain newlines."
>
>Does that mean that my objectClass definition should be all on one line like
>this:

No.  It means the descriptions are folded in the document.  You
may also fold descriptions provided via slapd.conf(5).  In both
cases, the folding should not appear on the wire.

>objectClass ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.10595.2.2.1 NAME 'tyrellPerson' DESC 'Tyrell
>Software Corp. Person' SUP top STRUCTURAL MUST ( tyrellUserId $
>tyrellPassword ) MAY ( displayName ) )
>
>or does that mean that the protocol will ignore newlines

no.

>and a definition like the top one would be okay in the schema file?

yes.