Re: Download RPM for Redhat, install on Redhat 6.2

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 10:54:09AM -0500, Thomas Klettke wrote:
> RedHat 6.2 uses an older version of RPM (RedhatPackageManager). To find your
> version, run "rpm -v", I guess you'll have 3.x. Packages created with a
> newer version of RPM can only be installed with the newer version.

There is a version of RPM 3.x for Red Hat 6.2 that can handle RPM 4 format
files. I would recoomend you check the Red Hat updates site and make sure
you have the latest version of rpm for RH 6.2 before doing anything else
that requires more work.

> You can try to upgrade to a newer version of RPM (4.0.2 as of RH7.1), or

I have heard nothing good about the RPM 3 -> RPM 4 upgrade process. Folks I
respect are advising against it.

> else you'll probably have to build openldap from the sources

which may be a good idea

-Peter