8bit characters

I know this subject has been discussed in the thread "strange (swedish)
characters" but I want to clear things up as I'm just a newbie who doesn't
understand much :)

I have installed the following RPMs from the RedHat 7.1 CD:

openldap-2.0.7-14
openldap-servers-2.0.7-14
openldap-clients-2.0.7-14
openldap-devel-2.0.7-14
openldap12-1.2.11-4

If I try to add entries including 8bit information (like a with umlauts) with
ldpadd I get the following error:

--snip--
[root@jolo ldif]# ldapadd -x -D "cn=admin,dc=fivetec,dc=com" -W -f
fivetec-01051601.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "uid=ppe2,ou=People,dc=fivetec,dc=com"
ldap_add: Invalid syntax
        additional info: value contains invalid data

ldif_record() = 21
--snip--

Otherwise adding entries succeeds. I thought OpenLDAP supports iso-8859-1?

I also get an error if I try to use the LDAPExplorer WebGUI.

What am I to do? Should I compile openldap with some "enable-8bit" parameters
or is the problem with the clients -- they don't support 8bit and I should get
one that does?

Regards,
Peter