[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

Re: strange (swedish) characters

After installation of (two) new Unicode fonts, Netscape still not
displays the swedish characters.

As I see it, the new fonts is working alright (since it displays
different than the former) and since I set the new fonts to the Unicode
format the new font displays I can surely say that the searchresult is
returned as Unicode.

Is it possible to get your perlsnippet for the perl ldapsearch-wrapper
so I can see that the swedish characters really is stored in the


Paul Gillingwater wrote:
> Quoting Markus Jardemalm <markus.jardemalm@redina.se>:
> > Thanks Paul,
> > your scriptlet did the work for me ;-). Since I anyway use a perlscript
> > to read the source and insert into the directory this was the absolute
> > best solution.
> >
> > However, I use my directory with e-mail clients for lookups. But the
> > swedish character is not visible from Netscape e-mail client. I can
> > imagine that this has to do with the different character encodings
> > (Netscape probably use another encoding).
> >
> > Is there a way to display my swedish characters in Netscape e-mail
> > client? Decode the searchresult to a suitable encoding?
> I know one way to solve this, but it might be a little too difficult for you --
> it depends on whether you have access to a Perl guru.
> I have an application that makes use of LDAPSEARCH via the command-line
> interface on a Linux system, for a Web application.  Because of similar issues
> with the display of UTF-8 characters, what I did was write a Perl wrapper
> around the LDAPSEARCH interface, that accepts the same parameters, makes the
> search, then returns the results, but with UTF-8 converted to ISO8559-1 (or
> HTML entities for HTML).
> Now, you could do the same thing with Perl via a socket.  Reconfigure SLAPD to
> listen to a different port (maybe 636?)  Then create a Perl daemon that listens
> to port 389, and which passes on what it gets to SLAPD, then munges the results
> as per your requirements.
> I might be way off-base here, and there are performance issues, but it's a nice
> hack.  Hopefully someone smarter than me can come up with a way so that SLAPD
> can format its output using HTML entities.  :-)
> Yet another option is to make the Netscape client use a Unicode font.  For
> example, see the folliwng URL:
> http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/directory/install30/gateway.htm
> I'll paste the relevant part for you below:
> Configuring Communicator 4.x
> To configure the Communicator 4.x, do the following:
> Install a font that supports Unicode.
> Go to the Navigator panel Edit|Preferences|Appearance|Fonts.
> In the "For the Encoding" pull-down menu, select Unicode.
> In the Variable Width Font pull-down list, select a Unicode font set (for
> example, Bitstream Cyberbit).
> In the Fixed Width Font pull-down list, select a Unicode font set (for example,
> Bitstream Cyberbit).
> Configure the browser for the preferred language. Go to
> Edit|Preferences|Browser|Languages. Configure the list of languages so that the
> best description of the user's language is first, followed by less-exact
> descriptions and other acceptable languages. For example, a speaker of British
> English who also reads Spanish might list English/United Kingdom [en-GB] first,
> followed by English [en] and then Spanish [es].
> Hope this helps!
> cheers
> Paul Gillingwater

Markus Jardemalm
Enea Redina AB
direct# +46 (0) 18 660 811
phone#  +46 (0) 18 660 800
mobile# +46 (0) 702 690 811