ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: attribute not found

I'm new to LDAP and openldap and I'm trying to get version 2.0.7 up and
running.
I've read the linux HOWTO, the Admin guide, and the first few hundred pages
of
Howes, Smith and Good and various documentation on stuff from padl.com.
I figured I was ready to get started.

I've compiled openldap 2.0.7, using the spec file from the rawhide SRPM at
redhat
as a starting point on how to configure.  However, when I get the server up
and
running, whenever I try to connect using ldapadd, I get the error
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: attribute not found

I broke out gdb and stepped through ldapadd to try and find what
specifically it
was complaining about.  The problem is in the function
ldap_pvt_sasl_getmechs
in library/libldap/sasl.c, its trying to get the attribute
supportedSASLMechanisms
from the server.  The search is started at dn "" and the scope is
LDAP_SCOPE_BASE.  Now, in my slapd.conf, I specify the root dn as
"dc=audley, dc=cxm", so can a search from dn "" ever succeed?

To try and make some progress and put off this problem, I reconfigured
openldap
using --without-cyrus-sasl, and what I have now works.  I ultimately do need
SASL, however, so what could I be doing wrong?

Cheers
Chris