Re: More on 'No such object'

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Chris van der Merwe wrote:
> Hi Guys;
> In fact, when I try: ldapsearch  -h localhost -p 389 'objectclass=*'
> I still get:
> ldap_search: No such object
> Ho hum...I'm thinking that something may be wrong in either
> /etc/openldap/slapd.conf or /etc/openldap/ldap.conf (why is there 2 by the
> way)

 First, in slapd.conf you must define a base for your directory:

suffix          "dc=abc, dc=com"

Second, you need to also import an entry for this same base. I know, it doesn't
make sense... but that's how it is. Import something like this with ldapadd.

dn: dc=abc, dc=com
objectclass: top
objectclass: organization
o: ABC Internet Domain, Inc.

Then you can add an entry like this if you want:

dn: cn=John Wayne, dc=abc, dc=com
cn: John Wayne
sn: Wayne
objectclass: person
userpassword: <md5 or crypted password here>

 Slapd.conf and ldap.conf are two entirely different config files, explained
below with excerpts from the top of the man pages.

 The ldap.conf configuration file is used to set  system-wide defaults  to  be
applied when running ldap clients.  If the environment variable LDAPNOINIT is
defined,  all  defaulting is disabled.

The file (/usr/local) /etc/openldap/slapd.conf contains  configuration
information for the slapd(8) daemon.  This configuration file is also used by
the slurpd(8) replication daemon   and  by  the  LDBM  indexing  utilities
ldif2ldbm(8), ldif2index(8), ldif2id2entry(8), and ldif2id2children(8).