Detailed logging

Hi,
I did not compile openldap2.0.6 with --DEBUG option, is this needed to get full logging?  My understanding is that I would get at least stats logging without this option.  I currently have loglevel 2048 defined in slapd.conf. and my /etc/syslog.conf has:
local4.info     /var/adm/messages
local4.debug    /var/adm/messages

I would expect to see some logging whenever I search, add, etc.  All that I get in the logfile though is 'slapd started'.

Also, it doesn't work at all if my /etc/syslog.conf has:
local4.info;local4.debug        /var/adm/messages

I am using a Solaris 2.6 box.  Help is greatly appreciated!