Re: cannot kill slapd from openldap-1.2.11

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 02:36:15AM -0500, Randy Kunkee wrote:
> It is not by design.
>
> If you do a simple "kill" on the pid of the slapd process, and
> it doesn't go away, then something is wrong.  Kurt mentioned something
> recently about FreeBSD4.0 having thread problems in the earlier
> releases.  Upgrading your FreeBSD would be a good place to start.
> Go to the mailing list archives and search on FreeBSD to see what
> you can find, especially in the last month.

I have already been contacted by Bryan Mawhinney, this indeed seems to
be a FreeBSD-specific issue. It is a pity, the next release of FreeBSD
is not available yet AFAIK. Mine is the latest release.

> Kill -9 is a bad idea (unless there's no other way) as it gives slapd
> no opportunity to clean up, which could in some cases corrupt your database.

I understand that. Moreover, slapd works much worse on 4.0-RELEASE
than it used to on 2.2.8-RELEASE (sad surprise). I do a nightly backup
of the database by running from cron

ldapsearch "cn=*" > ldap.`date`.bak

kind of stuff, so the search may all of a sudden timeout, and once it
lost the contents of a jpegphoto field.

> > I hope this may not be the design of ldap.This may
> > happen because you may have run slapd in back ground.
> > So in Unix when you run a process is run in
> > background, it becomes independent of the terminal and
> > hence killall doesn't work. If you specify killall -9

This worked on 2.2.8-RELEASE. They seem to have seriously broken
things. Anyway killall does not have anything to do with it, it was
just an example. kill `cat /var/run/slapd.pid` is more ideologically correct.