Re: cannot kill slapd from openldap-1.2.11

It is not by design.

If you do a simple "kill" on the pid of the slapd process, and
it doesn't go away, then something is wrong.  Kurt mentioned something
recently about FreeBSD4.0 having thread problems in the earlier
releases.  Upgrading your FreeBSD would be a good place to start.
Go to the mailing list archives and search on FreeBSD to see what
you can find, especially in the last month.

Kill -9 is a bad idea (unless there's no other way) as it gives slapd
no opportunity to clean up, which could in some cases corrupt your database.

Randy