Re: Using OpenLDAP instead of Netscape Directory server

At 06:17 PM 1/24/00 +0800, Lim Swee Tat wrote:
>> > Has anyone tried using OpenLDAP as a replacement for netscape
>> > directory server, so that other netscape applications (messaging,
>> > news, calendar, etc) are able to fetch and update data from/into
>> > openldap?

>> > What would be the schema in case someone wants to do this?

You can adapt LDAPv3 schemas for use with LDAPv2 servers.  However,
some applications depend on more things than schema, such as LDAPv3
extended operations.  I am not sure if the above applications support
LDAPv2, but if they do, you should be able to use OpenLDAP 1.2 to
support them.

>If you want a v3 compliant ldap server, get Umich's Ldap.

This is incorrect.  U-Mich LDAP 3.3 implements LDAPv2+.  The
U-Mich LDAP project is defunct.  OpenLDAP has picked up where
they left off.  OpenLDAP 1.x is U-Mich LDAP 3.3 compatible,
that is, it implements LDAPv2+ and the supports the U-Mich APIs.

>LDAPv3 for Openldap will not be till 1.3??

Not until OpenLDAP 2.0.

>The current version is 1.2.9. 1.3 is
>still in development... But there's a lack of writers

OpenLDAP 1.3 will likely never exist.  We've focusing energies
on 2.0.   We can always use more developers.

>And read the FAQs at www.openldap.org

I concur.

>> > On a related note, has anyone managed to make Netscape Directory and
>> > OpenLDAP replicate with each other?
>It is possible since NS Directory can replicate with LDAPv2

Yes.  slurpd can be used for OpenLDAP->NS and likely NS has
something similiar to do "dumb" replicate in opposing direction.

>> > Finally, how does OpenLDAP handle SSL, if at all?
>Yes... Pls read the FAQ...

1.2 does not have integrated support for SSL... but you
can use a wrapper as noted in the FAQ.