Re: ldapadd: hopelessly slow loading due to high disk iowait

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Kelley Hu wrote:

   Thanks for your prompt response!   I am going to try dbcachenowsync.
   I did find a way for loading the one million records with speed 100x
   faster:  that is, using /tmp as database dir.  Since Solaris makes
   /tmp memory-mapped, it is much faster than a disk-based write.  I can
   move the database from /tmp to its final drive after completely
   loaded.   The only problem is that /tmp usually has limited size.

You can increase the size of /tmp by adding in more swap slices (ie swap -a
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1). Use "swap -l" to view what it is currently using. Also make
sure that you use a slice that is setup for swapping (wu flag).

Regards

Simon Murcott