Re: problem retrieving jpegphoto, not base64?

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 09:45:25AM -0700, John Kristian wrote:
> Stig Venaas wrote:
>
> > ... the data is not base64 coded in the tcp-packets, shouldn't it be?
>
> No; binary data are not base64 encoded in LDAP.  They are in LDIF, but not
> LDAP.
>
> > I've also confirmed that the data is stored as base64 in the database.
>
> Really?  That's surprising; I thought the OpenLDAP database stored all
> values as counted byte strings.  How do you know?  The tool that dumps the
> database encodes binary values when it converts to LDIF.

I used strings and grep on the database and found the base64 data I
grepped for, but I see now that that's in id2entry.dbb file and that
the data is binary. Sorry, I was too quick there.

> > the clients or the API are bad since they do not handle binary data from
> > the server
>
> It's your client, I think.

Yes, looks like it, I'm looking at the PHP code now, and will try to
fix it. Thanks for the help.

Stig

--
Stig Venås                      Tel:    +47 73 59 53 29
NTNU				Fax:    +47 73 59 80 98