Re: Openldap crashing (repost)

(This probably didn't make it to the list, since I recently changed
addresses.  It should now, I've resubscribed).

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> First, make sure your running the OpenLDAP 1.2.2 or later.
> As of this version, the server uses TCP keepalives to weed out
> dead clients.
>
> However, you could be sufferring from brain damaged Microsoft
> clients that don't close streams switching from LDAPv3 to
> LDAPv2.  Microsoft has a fix for this...
>   http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q216/7/03.asp

This link is gone.  I'm searching for an updated one, but so far no luck.

> On the OpenLDAP side, there are a couple of things you can
> do.  One, make sure slapd have a large number of file descriptors
> available to it.  Two, you can experiment server side timeouts:
>   http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi?findid=175
>
> Disclaimer: this patch has not yet been fully tested.

I've been using it for a couple weeks on 1.2.1, and it is working
wonderfully.  I haven't run into the problem since.  I had 14,657
connections and didn't run out of descriptor (had to restart for a new
DB).  I haven't tried the TCP keepalive solution yet.

> At 05:14 PM 6/18/99 +1200, monkey man wrote:
> >We're having a problem with OpenLdap where, after 2 days of running,
> >LDAP hasn't properly disposed of or closed all the files it has open
> >(file descriptors?) and then stops working, giving the message:
> >
> >Jun 18 04:41:09 www slapd[15405]: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.deny:
> >Too many open files
> >
> >Any idea how to fix this or what the problem is?  We've just moved to LDAP
> >and it's rapidly becoming mission critical, so we'd rather fix the problem
> >than just restart the server nightly or something.

Don
--
Don Badrak <dbadrak@census.gov>              301.457.8263 work
Telecommunications Office                    301.457.4438 fax