Re: Problems with set up and connection...?

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> Which version of OpenLDAP?  which platform?  other relevant details?
Version: 1.2
Platform: Red Hat 5.2, 2.0.35
Other Relevant data:  Like what? Good question. Please be more specific.

> At 11:16 AM 4/14/99 -0400, Johan T. Lindgren wrote:
> >1 I changed the directories as needed in include/ldapconfig.h.edit to:
> >/*
> > * SHARED DEFINITIONS - things you should change
> > */
>
> You really should NOT change these!  Use configure options to
> change install locations.   (this comment will be changed in
> later versions).
	Should I just let them be as they are? There is in the reference manual
references to a Make-common which is not part of the distribution and
makes me a tad confused.

> >2 ./configure --enable-shared --with-gnu-ld --enable-DLDAP_DEBUG
> >--with-ldbm-api=db
>
> Debugging is controlled with --enable-debug and --disable-debug
> options.  The default is yes.
	Ok, so the configure line should not include --enable-DLDAP_DEBUG,
should it?

> >3 make depend
> >
> >4 make
>
> Did you 'cd tests; make' ?
	Yes, I did, forgot to mention that and everything seemed to work ok.
Here is the output:
ln: ./data: cannot overwrite directory
make: [all-local] Error 1 (ignored)
Initiating LDAP tests...
running defines.sh .
Datadir is ./data
Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Using ldapsearch to retrieve all the entries...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Comparing retrieved entries to LDIF file used to create database

Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Using ldapsearch to check that slapd is running...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Using ldapmodify to populate the database...
Using ldapsearch to read all the entries...
Filtering ldapsearch results...
Filtering original ldif used to create database...
Comparing filter output...

Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Testing slapd searching...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Testing exact searching...
Testing OR searching...
Testing AND matching and ends-with searching...
Testing NOT searching...
Comparing results

Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Testing slapd modify operations...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Testing modify, add, and delete...
Using ldapsearch to retrieve all the entries...
Comparing database to reference file

modrdn test not yet written

Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Testing slapd access control...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Using ldapsearch to retrieve all the entries...
Comparing database to reference file

Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Cleaning up in ./test-repl...
Starting master slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Starting slave slapd on TCP/IP port 9010...
Using ldapsearch to check that master slapd is running...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Using ldapsearch to check that slave slapd is running...
Starting slurpd...
Using ldapmodify to populate the database...
Using ldapmodify to modify the database...
Waiting 15 seconds for slurpd to send changes...
Using ldapsearch to read all the entries from the master...
Using ldapsearch to read all the entries from the slave...
Comparing retrieved entries from master and slave...

> >5 Created a directory to store my db in (/usr/local/ldap)
> >
> >6 copied the db from:
> >http://www.Openldap.org/faq/data/cache/104.html
> > but changed the organization row to:
> > "o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us"
>
> I really don't recommend using quotes within DNs... you
> could use 'o=Jefferies & Co., c=US' or 'dc=jefco, dc=com'
> (dc style).
	Hmm, according to the manual one should be able to do this, but what is
said and what rules I guess is different...

> >7 ldif2ldbm -f /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf first.txt
>
> You might want to use ldbmcat to verify the db was created
> as expected.   Also, a sample of your ldif would be useful
> in diag'ing this.
Here is the .ldif:

dn: o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us
objectClass: organization

dn: ou=Members,o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us
objectClass: organizationalUnit

dn: cn=Del,ou=Members,o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us
cn: Del
sn: Elson
ou: Members
mail: del@babel.com.au
objectClass: person
userPassword: DoILookStupid?

dn: uid=root,ou=Members,o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us
uid: root
ou: Members
host: us.babel.com.au
seeAlso: cn=Del,ou=Members,o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us
objectClass: account

~~~~ And here the result of ldbmcat id2entry.dbb
1
dn: o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us
objectClass: organization

2

3

4
dn: uid=root,ou=Members,o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us
uid: root
ou: Members
host: us.babel.com.au
seeAlso: cn=Del,ou=Members,o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us
objectClass: account

> >8 After this was done I started slapd with:
> >/usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 65535 -f /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf
> >-p 389
>
> slapd.conf?
	Yes, slapd.conf, according to the URL above...

> >9 When this was finished I did the following:
> >ldapsearch -b 'o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us' 'objectClass=*' -d 65535
> >which according to the instructions should have given me everything in
> >the database. But it didn't, instead this happened:
>
> Your backend suffix probably doesn't match the requested DN.
	And where do I check this? In slapd.conf or ldap.conf?

With hopes for an answer,
Johan

Jefferies & Company Inc. archives and may review electronic
correspondence.  It may be required to be produced to the SEC to other
regulators in a criminal investigation or in civil litigation.  Any
message coming into Jefferies & Company Inc. may be subject to the same
requirements.