Re: Problems with set up and connection...?

At 12:37 PM 4/14/99 -0400, Johan T. Lindgren wrote:
>> You really should NOT change these!  Use configure options to
>> change install locations.   (this comment will be changed in
>> later versions).

>	Should I just let them be as they are?

In general, you should NOT edit ldapconfig.h.edit (our INSTALL
instructions need to be updated to reflect this).  If you want
to muck with installation directories, use configure options.
'./configure --help' will give you a brief listing of the
available options.  More help is available in file
doc/install/configure.

>There is in the reference manual
>references to a Make-common which is not part of the distribution and
>makes me a tad confused.

You are reading the U-Mich reference manual.  OpenLDAP has a
complete different build/install environment which is documented
in the 'INSTALL' file within the distribution.

>> Debugging is controlled with --enable-debug and --disable-debug
>> options.  The default is yes.
>	Ok, so the configure line should not include --enable-DLDAP_DEBUG,
>should it?

--enable-DLDAP_DEBUG is meaningless to configure and hence should
not be included on the configure command line.

>> Did you 'cd tests; make' ?
>	Yes, I did, forgot to mention that and everything seemed to work ok.

>Here is the .ldif:

Ugly, but I don't see any real problem with it.

>> >8 After this was done I started slapd with:
>> >/usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 65535 -f /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf
>> >-p 389
>>
>> slapd.conf?
>	Yes, slapd.conf, according to the URL above...

I assumed you had one, I wanted to see what various directives
you used (specifically "suffix").

>> Your backend suffix probably doesn't match the requested DN.
>	And where do I check this? In slapd.conf or ldap.conf?

slapd.conf.

I think Mike hit on the root of your ldapsearch problems...

I strong recommend you start over with a fresh copy of OpenLDAP 1.2.1
(so as to have a pristine ldapconfig.h.edit) and build your database
with DNs that do not require LDAP quoting.  Once built, use ldbmcat
and ldapsearch -b 'o=org, c=US' 'objectclass=*' to verify the database.

Good luck, Kurt