Re: unified login (unix + windows)

Quoting Gerald Carter <gcarter@valinux.com>:

> Thomas Guettler wrote:
> >
> > It is a dream of mine to have all passwords and users
> > in one Ldap-Server. For unix I heard this is
> > possible, but for Windows you have to modify the login-dll
> > and some other stuff. Has anyone idears, URLs, ...
> > that can bring me closer to this dream?
>
> I'm working on fixing the LDAP support in Samba for
> the next release (2.2.0).  Once the PDC support for NT
> is official, there you go.  Problem is that Samba will need
> the LanMan/NT password hash regardless of the userPassword
> representation you use for Unix clients.  I have no work
> around for this at the moment.  Storing the plain text
> would work, but then I'm not really fond of that. :-)
>
> Samba includes support for authenticating plain text logons
> via PAM currently.  You could try that as well.

I'm  running Samba  v2.0.6,  OpenLDAP  v1.2.10 and  PAM  on my  Debian
box. Having  the smbpasswd  file, every client  can connect,  but when
removing that  and 'enabling' PAM,  only UNIX, W98 (earliest)  and NT4
w/o any service pack can connect. W2k and NT4+SP? is denied access...

Any pointers on how I should get the non-working clients to be able
to access my Samba server to?