Simple LDAP service

I'm working on a project to design a new configuration management system
for Linux and we want to use LDAP access to manage the configuration
store.  It's still in the early stages of planning, but the idea is
generate application-native configuration files from a direcotry.  We
would like to be able to use the standard LDAP routines to do this.

However, there are a number of cases where we don't want to run a
full-fledged slapd; the directory information needs only be accessible to
update config files, and we don't want to be tied to running a TCP/IP
daemon.  Does anyone know of anything to do with this?  It's possible,
although less than desirable, that we just start slapd, pull the
configuration information, and then shut it down.

I guess in short what we want is a very simple, non-caching, exclusively
locked 'mini-slapd' or just a library which wraps the LDAP function calls
to work directly with the DB files.

Does anyone know of anything like this?

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                         wcooley@nakedape.cc

     Internet Meta-Resources: http://nakedape.cc/meta-res/
	       "All the Net you need to be a geek."

The LNX System: Linux for a 2U rack.  http://lnxs.org

When I hear a man applauded by the mob I always feel a pang of pity
for him.  All he has to do to be hissed is to live long enough.
		-- H.L. Mencken, "Minority Report"