Re: Simple LDAP service

As far as storing config info in an LDAP server, I have looked at it, it
can be done, but LDAP's schema tends to be a little too restrictive.

There is another protocol out there that is specifically for storing
configuration info of apps, it's called ACAP.  IMAP clients use this to
store their config info.  CMU has an experimental ACAP server.  You could
have the ACAP server spawned by inetd when the client connects to that
port of your server, then it would answer all requests and be killed when
the connection was closed.  an ACAP server has a lot less overhead then
slapd does, mainly because it is still alpha, and not completely
implemented. ;)

search www.google.com for ACAP and you should run across the CMU pages.
or you can search for cyrus.  the acap server is part of the cyrus-imap
package.

Allen Reese
Senior Software Engineer
Driversoft, Inc.
allen@driversoft.com
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread