Re: LDAP and Single Sign-on

Tod Thomas wrote:

> I am interested in getting an idea of how many organizations have
> implemented LDAP as well as those that may be using it for single sign
> on.  I have the following questions:

We use LDAP in conjunction with NDS to achieve a single identity (login
id/password).

> * Has anybody implemented LDAP in a production corporate environment ?

We use it in a production environment for email authentication & delivery,
LAN access, dial up access, student registration system access and security
and a number of smaller uses.

> * If so what was its introduction expected to accomplish? How many users
> does it serve?

Single identity. 13,500 users.

> * Has anyone used it to provide corporate wide single sign-on?
> * If so, was that a success and how heterogeneous was the login
> environment you started with?

The bottom line is that this has made our users very happy (only one login
id/password for all administrative systems) and our technical staff happy
(only one place to manage login ids/passwords/security). We've been quite
happy with the results.

NDS plays the role of central repository with OpenLDAP client libraries for
LDAP access from non-Netware system (i.e. Unix).

> * And lastly, are there any sites that have this kind of information
> documented already that anyone can point me to ?

Sorry, we don't have it all documented for public viewing. I'll have to work
on that.

Jon Scarbrough
Oakton Community College
Des Plaines, IL