LDAP and Single Sign-on

I am interested in getting an idea of how many organizations have
implemented LDAP as well as those that may be using it for single sign
on.  I have the following questions:

* Has anybody implemented LDAP in a production corporate environment ?
* If so what was its introduction expected to accomplish? How many users
does it serve?
* Has anyone used it to provide corporate wide single sign-on?
* If so, was that a success and how heterogeneous was the login
environment you started with?
* And lastly, are there any sites that have this kind of information
documented already that anyone can point me to ?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tod Thomas