Re: Fw: How useful is oracle internet directory server?

Hallo Mark

we have here basically two distinct ideas:

1. the first idea is to have an  Lightweight SQL Access Protocol; JDBC and DBI
are good steps in the right direction, but as far not so mature or global as
LDAP. (JDBC is limited to Java, for example, DBI to Perl; what about other
languages?)
That is in itself a good goal.

2. the second idea is one that many of us must face in everyday Practice.
We have old legacy applications that stored "directory information" in SQL
tables. We cannot bring all this data AT ONCE in a LDAP server option, because
we have so many applications hanging from it. We need integration.
Up to now we had been building horrendous gimmicks to update the information in
LDAP AND in the old Database (often an Oracle, for us).
The simple fact that the LDAP server uses as Back-End your old Oracle, even is
separata table spaces, with a completely different model, is just ONE MORE
CHANCE to perform a better integration and to enable a future full migration.

Bets regards
Giovanni