Fw: How useful is oracle internet directory server?

Hi
I just read somewhere that oracle has come out with Internet directory server where basically its the open ldap server code and the backend database is oracle. Now as per my understanding, the RDBMS and directory service are two different paradigms so what exactly is the advantage oracle is going to get with this move?
Secondly how ldap and e-commerce are related? Can somebody give me a good pointer on various e-commerce products that use ldap and how does the relational database as a backend advantageous(if it is!!). If anyone of you is planning on this direction and can throw some light without violating patents, copyrights or confidentiality it would be really helpful to me.
Thx
bharat

<<<<