Hardware horsepower required

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can provide a reasonable baseline on what is
needed to run OpenLDAP.  Currently, my directory is populated with a few
UNIX accounts and the related groups, devices, protocols, etc.  I will
also be using this server for directory information for about 350 email
accounts (sendmail will use LDAP to lookup delivery options and the POP3
daemon will authenticate against the LDAP server).  Finally, if I can ever
get it working, the few NT boxes that we have to keep for users will
authenticate against an LDAP controlled Samba box.

Its perhaps wild fantasy but I recently came into a bunch of Dell 466
boxes with 16Mb of RAM which I will mix and match to get at least three
boxes with 32 Mb of RAM.  Could I use these as slave servers or do need
something much more powerful?  By comparison, the master server right now
is a dual Pentium II with 512 Mb of RAM - almost in the same class as
those Dells ;)

Any thoughts?  I've also got an Apple Network server with a 200Mhz 604e
PPC chip in it running LinuxPPC (which took me half an hour to figure out
why the contents on /usr/tmp created on x86 architecture refused to return
anything when copied to the PPC architecture.. :)  I may soon have an old
VAX box that I hope to install Linux on as well but I don't have a budget
to buy anything new.

Thanks,

Kevin

--