Re: address book question

Jeff Donovan wrote:

> Greetings,
> I have two questions;
>
> 1. How do I set up my data, so when a client (netscape address book )
> accesses my directory they see the card, but a double click on the card
> returns a large web based card??
>         I've seen the cards in the verisign directory. When you double
> click them a web browser appears with the data from that individual.
> How is this done?

Nothing special, that's the way it happens.  But it only happens when
you open teh address book directly, not from the message composition
window Address button.

> On my setup (running openldap v1.2.1 w/bsdi) I see the cards, but when I
> doubleclick to open them ,The web browsers appears and returns an error.

I saw this behaviour in the 4.5 betas, with DN's containing characters
outside the 7-bit ASCII set.  These betas were not quite decided on
whether they should be using UTF-8 or not and how to produce proper
LDAP URLs.  Later versions fixed this (for me, anyway).

What you want seems to be done in Netscape by providing in the address
book window hyperlinks of the form ldap://....  When you click on them,
the LDAP URL is parsed and a request is made to the server.  So this is
probably where the problem lies, either Netscape is getting confused by
your DN's or you are hitting a bug in that area in OpenLDAP.

What are your DN's like?  Any bizarre character in them?  Can you quote
the exact error?  Is the request sent to the server?  Anything in the
server log?

> What would it be for my wonderful long domain :); beth.k12.pa.us
>         would it be this?
>         dc=beth,dc=k12,dc=pa,dc=us

Yes.

Julio