RE: trouble installing on RH 5.1

At 04:35 PM 9/11/98 -0700, you wrote:
>First of all, thanks for all your help.
>
>However, I'm still running into the same problem with my target system. I
>tried building and testing the openldap-stable.tgz distribution on two other
>RH Linux 5.1 machines, and everything built fine and also tested fine on
>both machines.  I can't figure out what's happening with my target system,
>much to my frustration.

As you built on two of three RH 5.1 systems, the third must have some
have some significant difference.  It seems you already have check for
the obvious difference.  All I can suggest is to keep checking.

>There were no errors in the make.

What were the errors?   In fact, you might just send me (not the whole
list) a complete make output, ie:
	make clean
	(uname -a ; gcc -v ; make ) >& ! make.out

>One interesting point though, is when I do a make install, (with LDAP_PREFIX
>= /usr/local/ldap) the all of the directories seem to install okay except
>for sbin & libexec.  sbin & libexec are not even directories; they're
>executables.  Of what, I don't know.

I fixed the offending Make-templates in -devel and -stable.

>Is there a rpm that I'm missing, or do I have to configure my kernel a
>little different?  If anybody can figure out what's happening from what I've
>described, I'd appreciate it A LOT.  Thanks in advance.

OpenLDAP does not require anything unusual, that is, nothing more than
what Umich LDAP required.

Kurt