RE: trouble installing on RH 5.1

First of all, thanks for all your help.

However, I'm still running into the same problem with my target system. I
tried building and testing the openldap-stable.tgz distribution on two other
RH Linux 5.1 machines, and everything built fine and also tested fine on
both machines.  I can't figure out what's happening with my target system,
much to my frustration.

Basically what I do is unpackage the distribution, copy the
Make-common.gmake to Make-common, and then do a make & make test.  The make
test always crashes on the ldif2ldbm.  Again, here's the last error codes:

Initiating LDAP tests...
Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Using ldapsearch to retrieve all the entries...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
ldapsearch failed!
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/install/ldap/tests'
make: *** [test] Error 2

There were no errors in the make.  The only difference between the two
machines (PII-450 & P233) where the tests worked and the target machine is
that my target machine is older (P100, 64MB RAM), and uses a ne2000
compatible NIC card vs the newer machines' 3com cards (if that even
matters).  I even cross checked the rpm's that were installed on the faster
machines, and didn't find any relevant rpm's that my target machine was
missing (at least, I think so...).

One interesting point though, is when I do a make install, (with LDAP_PREFIX
= /usr/local/ldap) the all of the directories seem to install okay except
for sbin & libexec.  sbin & libexec are not even directories; they're
executables.  Of what, I don't know.

Is there a rpm that I'm missing, or do I have to configure my kernel a
little different?  If anybody can figure out what's happening from what I've
described, I'd appreciate it A LOT.  Thanks in advance.

Richard M. Yumul
mailto:chewie@dtai.com
DTAI Incorporated
http://www.dtai.com