Re: trouble installing on RH 5.1

> If anybody's been able to install it successfully on RedHat 5.1, could
> somebody send me the procedures?

I believe a number of folks are using Redhat 5.1.  I do not
believe you should have to do much more than copy Make-common.gmake
to Make-common and type make.  As no one has submitted a bug report
on it, I would assume the problem is due to your local configuration.

I do have a couple of notes, though, that might help:

Many of the Make-common settings only take effect if a platform default
has not been set.  As build/platform/linux defines settings for
LDBM, your settings changes in Make-common had no effect.

If you want to hardcode settings in Make-common, you need to
comment out the ifndef/endif clauses.  Make sure the LDBM_USE_XXX
matches what you LDBMLIB you selected.  It looked like you
were trying to use LDBM_USE_NDBM with -lgdbm (this was likely
ignored due to the #ifndef).

OpenLDAP should work using GDBM.  In fact, I just completed
a build/test run on my FreeBSD box using Gnu Make based Make-common.
I don't happen to have Redhat 5.1 booted at the moment, but it
worked last time I tried.

You might consider upgrading Berkeley DB, it is generally preferred
over GDBM.  OpenLDAP 1.0.1 supports both 1.85 and DB2 in 1.85
compatibility mode.

Kurt