Re: New release policy for OpenLDAP

--On Monday, January 27, 2020 10:45 PM +0100 Michael Ströder <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:

On 1/27/20 10:19 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
To me, frequent releases
generally indicate an immature, unstable, and buggy product. ;)

Are you sarcastic here?

No, not at all. I would say OpenLDAP has too few releases in a year (only 1-2 currently for most years, unfortunately), so having more frequent releases for it is probably a good thing. But a piece of software in general that is releasing constantly? Not a fan of it at all, and haven't seen it as a good thing as far as softare quality is concerned. There's plenty of software that releases much less frequently than OpenLDAP as well, because there isn't a driving need for it to have a new release.

And as Howard noted, there's a balance to strike between stability and feature development. If we release every 2 weeks, but slapd core dumps 90% of the time, is that really better? Sure, the project looks more "active", but I wouldn't see that as a benefit/gain.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect