Re: New release policy for OpenLDAP

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 08:12:49AM -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
Starting with OpenLDAP 2.5, the OpenLDAP project will use a new release process.

Odd numbered releases will contain only bug fixes
Even numbered releases will allow for minor new features

Works for me. Similar to Gavin's note, I'd point out this is opposite to GNOME's numbering [1] which might occasionally confuse downstreams who work with both. Speaking of which, is the odd/even numbering intended to apply to the patch version only (2.5.{1,2}) or the minor version (2.{5,6}.y) as well?

Why was this particular approach chosen? As opposed to, for example, doing feature releases more often (e.g. 2.6 as soon as a few months after 2.5), or adding a fourth version component (2.5.y.z) for strictly bugfix-only patch releases? Not trying to advocate a change of decision, just interested in the thought process...

[1] https://developer.gnome.org/programming-guidelines/stable/versioning.html.en#stable-unstable-versions