New release policy for OpenLDAP

There's been ongoing discussion about making changes to the current release strategy with OpenLDAP.

Traditionally we've (for the most part) kept new features out of the release branch and did our best to primarily focus on bug fixes only. There have clearly been exceptions when warranted (such as support for LMDB, etc). However, this policy has had the effect of keeping significant improvements from being made readily available to end users of the software. To address this, we're looking at implementing the following:

Starting with OpenLDAP 2.5, the OpenLDAP project will use a new release process.

Odd numbered releases will contain only bug fixes
Even numbered releases will allow for minor new features

This will allow for end users who want stability to focus on odd numbered releases while allowing those who need/want newer features to be able to make use of them.

Constructive responses to the new release strategy welcome.

Regards,
Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount