Re: back_ldap / TLS Issues with OPENLDAP_REL_ENG_2_4_48

--On Sunday, July 21, 2019 10:54 PM +0200 Ondřej Kuzník <ondra@mistotebe.net> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 10:18:37AM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
Now you are providing conflicting answers.  The man page for back-ldap
makes zero reference to ldap.conf(5).  It only mentions slapd.conf(5).
The syncrepl section of slapd.conf(5)/slapd-config(5) only mention the
network-timeout value being pulled in from ldap.conf(5).  So which is
it? Do they follow the man page behaviors (which would mean no
ldap.conf(5) for slapd-ldap, and only network-timeout for syncrepl), or
do they violate the man page description?

(replying to the gist of the entire thread)

I'm happy with back-ldap, etc. honouring global ldap.conf. Deployments
that need to avoid that can and should define LDAPNOINIT. Also AFAIK
libldap initialisation happens before any configuration is even parsed
so might be a bit harder to avoid it.

Generally, it seems to me we at the least have a documentation bug, in
that back-ldap(5) and the syncrepl section of
slapd.conf(5)/slapd-config(5) should note that they will rely on
ldap.conf(5) in the absence of TLS (and possibly other paremters) if
they are not found in slapd.conf(5).

We should document what happens somewhere, definitely. Maybe TLS section
of slapd.conf manpage? I'll defer to you where that should happen and
hopefully either of also you wants to write it (and the LDAPNOINIT
advice) while I work on fixing this :) I'll just tweak things later so
the docs fit exactly what happens when it comes to setting up
slapd_tls_ld and what the relevant clients (syncrepl and back-ldap) do
too.

After further discussion with Howard, ITS#8427 is going to get reverted from RE24 for now, and we'll look at getting it fixed fully for 2.4.49. It appears it has introduced a regression with both GnuTLS and OpenSSL. Long term, we need to decide exactly how we want this all to work in RE25 as well. I'm with Michael in that I think slapd should never accept any CAs unless explicitly configured to do so, and right now it appears that without this patch, it can do exactly that with both OpenSSL and GnuTLS, regardless of whether or not an ldap.conf file is in place.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect