Re: py-lmdb

Volker Lendecke wrote:
On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 03:51:38PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
Hmmm. I suppose it's a matter of timing. 64bit ARM chips are hitting
the market now. Frankly I view this as a problem that will solve
itself, and not worth lifting a finger over.

Just found via lwn.net:

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-discuss/2014-May/000335.html

Interesting thread, but mostly it reiterates that no 32 bit systems will be viable past 2038. So there's a hard limit of 24 years remaining for these machines.

There may well be a plethora of 32 bit microcontrollers still running strong by then, but how many of them will be capable of managing more than 4GB of data? Do you really need a 16GB database in your smart toaster, smart refrigerator, or whatever networked appliance in the Internet of Things?