Re: py-lmdb

Volker Lendecke wrote:
On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 01:01:26PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
I would like to give lmdb a try in Samba, really. I see that
for 32-bit systems we will probably still need tdb for the
future (pread/pwrite in lmdb anyone in the meantime?  :-)).

That will require app-level buffer cache mgmt and lots of memcpys.
Kinda defeats the design of LMDB.

Yes, I know. I don't advocate this in the default case. The normal mode
if the db fits into memory I would not change anything. However it might
be possible with clever inline functions to add an optional slower layer
for the small boxes with zero cost for the mmap case. Small NAS boxes
are really important for us.

If I gave such a thing a try, and assuming I get anywhere, would you
consider taking a look? I'm not sure I will spend much time on this
soon, but I would like to know whether that's a doomed attempt right
from the start. lmdb is just too cool to ignore :-)

Hmmm. I suppose it's a matter of timing. 64bit ARM chips are hitting the market now. Frankly I view this as a problem that will solve itself, and not worth lifting a finger over.