Re: py-lmdb

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 01:33:10AM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> Volker Lendecke wrote:
> >On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 03:51:38PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> >>Hmmm. I suppose it's a matter of timing. 64bit ARM chips are hitting
> >>the market now. Frankly I view this as a problem that will solve
> >>itself, and not worth lifting a finger over.
> >
> >Just found via lwn.net:
> >
> >https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-discuss/2014-May/000335.html
>
> Interesting thread, but mostly it reiterates that no 32 bit systems
> will be viable past 2038. So there's a hard limit of 24 years
> remaining for these machines.
>
> There may well be a plethora of 32 bit microcontrollers still
> running strong by then, but how many of them will be capable of
> managing more than 4GB of data? Do you really need a 16GB database
> in your smart toaster, smart refrigerator, or whatever networked
> appliance in the Internet of Things?

You never know. All I know is that Samba will need the
32-bit option for quite some time to come. If we started
full steam lmdb, this meant that we need to maintain two
database engines for the same purpose. I'd like to avoid
this if at all possible.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt@sernet.de