Re: Openldap replication over XMPP

Jonathan Clarke wrote:
Le 22/07/2010 21:27, Howard Chu a écrit :
Two small projects that could be completed in a short amount of time:
implement a DirSync module for OpenLDAP to replicate from M$AD, and
implement a passwordSync module for OpenLDAP with AD.

DirSync module: oh yes, that sounds interesting! :)

Yes, it would just be another Type for the syncrepl consumer.

passwordSync module: do you mean the password synchronization mechanism
described in:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727636%28WS.10%29.aspx ?
Also an idea that sounds great...

Yes, exactly that. The Unix code that Microsoft provides is abominable. It could be done a lot more cleanly as a slapd module/overlay.

Speaking of such things, maybe http://www.openldap.org/devel/todo.html
needs an update?

I suppose. But at this point there aren't a lot of burning issues, it's all pretty much up to individual developer interest.

Of course I would rather not see time wasted on something like XMPP if someone is actually interested in jumping in and learning; better to work on something that will be useful to others as well.

And, although it's a bit late for this year, would such projects not
make good propositions for Google's summer of code?

Probably. Our last proposals to GSoC were ignored in 2009 so I didn't bother to mention it for this year. If someone else wants to try for 2011, go ahead.

Jonathan