Re: Openldap replication over XMPP

Hi Howard,

Am 22.07.2010 21:27, schrieb Howard Chu:
> But if you're going to do something with LDAP you might as well make
> it useful too. Two small projects that could be completed in a short
> amount of time: implement a DirSync module for OpenLDAP to replicate
> from M$AD, and implement a passwordSync module for OpenLDAP with AD.
Indeed two interesting projects. But is syncrepl the best way to do
this? Let me ask you some questions on this:

DirSync: The DIT in AD is unlikely to be the same as on the OpenLDAP
side. The same is true for the attributes. Thus we need things like we
have in the rewrite overlay. Are you thinking about syncrepl with a CSN
store on the AD side here? What about multi master (several ADs writing
to one OpenLDAP)? A more general solution IMHO would be a flexible (with
respect to DN massaging and attribute mapping) queue that send plain
LDAP operations to the OpenLDAP consumer. What about SPML? Do you think
that that is also a "gross misuse of SGML"?

passwordSync:  What are you thinking here? DLL that recognizes password
changes and creates apropriate hashes and syncs these into OpenLDAP, or
just plain syncing of the NT hashes into OpenLDAP, which could be done
via the DirSync

The requirement fur such things is there since a long time and there are
a number of different solutions out there already. Something more
standardized, that could be packaged with OpenLDAP would be a nice
thing, thus I would be very happy, if this could be discussed here in
more detail.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter Gietz (CEO)
DAASI International GmbH                   phone: +49 7071 407109-0
Europaplatz 3                              Fax:   +49 7071 407109-9
D-72074 Tübingen                           mail:  peter.gietz@daasi.de
Germany                                    Web:   www.daasi.de

DAASI International GmbH, Tübingen
Geschäftsführer Peter Gietz, Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 382175

Directory Applications for Advanced Security and Information Management