Re: OpenLDAP 2.5

--On Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:40 PM -0800 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

With 2.4.21 out, and hopefully stable enough to promote to the next
Stable release, it's time to feature-freeze 2.4 and prepare for the 2.5
branch. As I already announced to the OpenLDAP-Committers, we're also
planning to switch from CVS to GIT in mid-January. Commits for 2.5 will
begin after we've settled into GIT.

Yeah! One question from the RE side, is how to best handle 2.4 fixes with HEAD getting further & further apart.

At Zimbra, what we do is integrate from HEAD -> branch while development/features are in parallel. Once the branch is feature frozen, the integration is from branch -> HEAD. I've already run into a few cases with RE24 where I had to ask Howard to do the integration, because the code was very different, and it's only going increase from here on out.

One other thing Zimbra does is create specific branches for every release. In equivalence for OpenLDAP, that'd be a 2.4 branch plus a branch cloned off of it for every release (like 2.4.20 branch, etc). We only make the release branch when we're at "code freeze" for a given release. This allows developers to continue to make changes to the trunk of that branch without affecting the upcoming release. Any fixes we deem "release critical" then get integrated into the newly formed release branch.

That may be a bit overkill for this project, but thought I'd note it.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer